Sunset on Mission Bay

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Sunset on Mission Bay, originally uploaded by mmvgonzales.

Friday evening Rudy and I went to San Diego and had Amy and her Seth join us for an evening kayak paddle on Mission Bay. We paddled the bay past Sea World and over to Vacation Island where we docked and had a lovely dinner on the patio overlooking the bay. I got this sketch in while waiting for dinner to arrive. Then we got back in our boats and paddled to the fisherman's barge to see all the pelicans. On the way there we were delighted to glimpse the phosphorescent plankton floating in the water. Amy was startled by a sea lion who popped his head out of the water right next to her!!! The guide assured her she had never lost a paddler to a sea lion! As our night was ending we were entertained by the fireworks display from Sea World. It was a fun evening and one we hope to do again!!!

8 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:

    What a fun evening - and great memory sketch. Makes me want to return to San Diego and see our old stomping grounds.

  2. It was always part of my family "lore" that my uncle was part of the planning team for Mission Bay, though I didn't find his name here: www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/2002-1/gabrielson.htm. When I looked up some of my uncles partners I found this page: www.modernsandiego.com/Liebhardt3.html If you scroll down to "Bob Smith's Residence" You'll see a picture with me in it, about age 3.

  3. mARTa Says:

    hey, that is so cool. I went to the site and there you are, a cute little tyke! Mission Bay is amazing for a man made bay.....so much to see and do there!

  4. Ai Says:

    This sounds so pleasant Marta. And the sketch is wonderful.

  5. Sounds like a great evening, Marta. I love the way you've captured the atmosphere with this quick sketch. Thanks for sharing!

  6. Sandy Says:

    What a glorious evening - full of adventure and you captured a shimmering moment of it all.

  7. Your sketch/painting truly conveys the mood and spirit of the day! Well done (I especially like the reflections of the boats!)

  8. sandy Says:

    You have the best days out!! Lovely painting. I like the boats and their reflections.

mARTa's Art | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com