My Party Continues

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 at 6:02 PM
Blood Oranges in Gouache
gouache in moleskine

Well, it's a private party today with just my new art supplies and me. Yesterday was a great birthday despite having to work. A very long 12 hour shift with barely a moment to take a break. I feel blessed for I spent it with some of the best people I know. They took up a collection and bought a big birthday cake and took a minute to run into the kitchen to sing me happy birthday before heading back to their patients. I felt very special. On the way home Rudy and I had a rendezvous at our favorite sushi eatery where the bartender who knows us came to the table with a big bowl of green tea ice cream in honor of my birthday!

Today I headed to the library to look for books about gouache and not finding anything headed to Borders but they didn't have anything either. So I came home and after not finding too much online either I figured, like many other things I do; I'll just teach myself. So here is a very bad first gouache sketch done in my moleskine watercolour sketchbook.

gouache_txt


7 comments

  1. Ohhhh, I love it. I think it turned out beautiful. I also was teaching myself oil pastels in hopes of using the "special ones".

  2. Carol Says:

    Happy birthday for yesterday Marta. Love the photo of you with the cake. Your blood oranges are splendid. I've never learned to draw or paint so I'm very impressed when I see work like yours. Carol

  3. Anonymous Says:

    This is not a bad sketch at all MArta, on the contrary, I find it rich and velvety and I agree with Desiree...it turned out beautiful!
    Ronell

  4. quirkyartist Says:

    Wow. Just go for it! You don't need tuition. It turned out really well - rather dramatic. That's because the tonal values are so good. Green tea icecream is one of my favourites too.

  5. Genine Says:

    I have to disagree with you Marta.
    I think this is wonderful. I really enjoy this! Full of light.

  6. Wendee Says:

    This is so awesome, are you kidding me?

    Here's some great info on gouache:
    http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/pigmt7.html
    (and browse the rest of the site for an amazing amount of facts and tips). It may not give direct instruction (I haven't found many good books or sites, either), but understanding it more may help you explore it. Have fun! :)

  7. Anonymous Says:

    Hello Marta, I think I read your blog last year. Then today I was checking out Desiree's blog and her link leads me to your blog. So I read your blog the first time in 2008 and then I realize that we share the same birthday (Jan 21 !!!). I know Desiree from art exchanges thru Wetcanvas. I think your blog inspires me to not be afraid to live life to the fullest and your arts are so jazzy and beautiful. I just link your blog to mine at aiarts.blogspot.com. I love your oranges gouache. They look so yummy.

mARTa's Art | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com