Taking time to smell the turpentine!

Monday, October 6, 2008 at 6:42 PM
laying in blocks of color finished piece
Oil painting exploration 

I had wanted to share my adventure of Guatemala after getting back last Monday but I was barely home a few hours and got really sick with the stomach flu and an upper respiratory infection.  I had been looking forward to going out for a nice steak dinner and instead drank Gatoraide and ate rice with broth for 2 days.  I am on the road to recovery now and am feeling much better.

Tomorrow we leave for a few days at the beach in our 'casita' (our little trailer).  So the Guatemala escapades will have to wait.  Well, ok, here's the photo of me and the guys....no explanation needed right?


Me and my guys
I spent the week catching up with my french homework and studying for today's test.  I also had to catch up in the oil painting class.  They were working on painting from a collage that had been put together from magazine images.  I quickly put something together and then the instructor tweaked it some more and this was the result.

I really didn't care for the collage but with time slipping away I got started.  I soon found that alizarin crimson was too smeary and I was fighting it.  My bff Tricia helped me out by pointing out that A.C. being a transparent pigment would not go on smooth and opaque....dah...I should have figured it out myself.  Then I went to Jana's blog and knew that it would hold some wise words for me; which it did.  So I didn't give up!  I finished the painting in the studio today so I'm now all caught up with my school work.   Now, I can enjoy the beach for a few days!

I feel bad that I haven't had time to browse the art blogs or leave comments to anyone.  I will get back on track soon....I hope!

7 comments

  1. Linda Says:

    How is it that you are always surrounded by crowds of hunky guys? You could give classes!
    ;-D I'm glad you're back. The paintings look great!

  2. sandy Says:

    Well look at you and all those guys!!

    Nice reading you, hope you feel better.

  3. Hey GF, sorry your so sick, I hope your little vacation does you a world of good. Sorry life got so busy for me, we will have a catch up day soon.

  4. Unknown Says:

    So sorry you were ill, but glad you are feeling better! Nice work catching up - whew - you deserve a little vacation in la casita!

    And what Linda said about the hunky guys - I'm often surrounded by guys, but they are only 4 feet tall and related to me!

  5. Wise girl, waiting until you got home to get sick, Marta. Glad to hear you are over it now and off on holiday.

    Your photograph is priceless! Wonderful!

    How interesting painting from a collage - particularly if you make your own collage reference. Impressive progress happening with your oil painting too. I'm hoping you will inspire me to work faster with oils. At present I seem to only produce about one per year!

  6. Anonymous Says:

    your painting looks great Marta..I'm really looking forward to see more of this road you're taking. It seems you had a wonderful time and I hope it has done you the world of good...by looking at the photo of you and these guys, it indeed seems the case!
    hope your health is also on the mend?
    Ronell

  7. Ai Says:

    Your oil painting looks great. I hope your stomach recovers soon. I am glad you can take a few day rest at the beach.

mARTa's Art | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com