First full week of Figure Drawing class

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 7:38 PM
RCC_Landis_Auditorium

A quick sketch done before class.  It was a beautiful day with the sun shinning and I cheated and wore capris and a light cotton blouse......even though it really is winter still.
I'm not going to post all my sketches from class today but they are all on Flickr now as a set.  Today she had us doing gestures.  I really had to step away from what I think I know and try to approach this class as if I know nothing.  
First a series of gestures but beginning with what she called the 'spirit line'...that one gesture that tells us which way the body is moving or going.  Next we were to just try and make relationships between the anatomical center of the body, the shoulder to shoulder and hip to hip points.  From there she gave us two 20 minutes poses in which we were to begin with our stick figure gesture (the first mark being the spirit line) and build form pretending we were using wire to wrap around the body shapes.  Our last pose was 30 minutes and we were to make a 'smoke man' using the side of our conte crayon to make swirls and ribbons around the forms.  I didn't do so well on this one and used linear marks which she didn't want.  But I was happy none the less.  These exercises were difficult!


wired figure, gesture
click on above figure to see the rest of todays exercises.  All are done on 18x24 inch newsprint.

6 comments

  1. Your figure drawing class sounds like hard work - you are going to learn so much! Please don't forget to share your insights with us. I love the top sketch, by the way!

  2. Claudia Says:

    Hola Martita,
    gracias por tu comentario! Me gusta tu dibujo del 27 de febrero! Y pienso adem�s que es una idea muy linda correr para una cosa tan buena! (Estoy tratando de correr tambi�n otra vez;-))
    Muchos saludos cordiales de
    Claudia

  3. Ai Says:

    I like your preworkshop sketch. It seems like you had a blast at the workshop. Very interesting lessons.

  4. Quilt knit Says:

    Oh! I wish I was sitting next to you. The feel of the paper, the sound of the Conte as it Marks the paper.
    The color of your fingers as you sense the models contours. Fantastic! Keep of the Great Work.
    Love the Get me unnervous sketch.
    Sherrie

  5. Alison Says:

    Such lovely colours and looseness in your auditorium sketch. I'll be interested to see where you go with the figure sketching.

  6. you've done such a great watercolour! I love the colours you used, but the linework is also very good. lovely!

mARTa's Art | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com