In just a few hours........

Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 6:45 PM

I board a plane headed to Guatemala City, Guatemala.  I am joining my friend Dr. DeLaCruz (Karen) and a group of about 35 on a humanitarian/medical mission.  I will be gone for 10 days to several areas of Guatemala.  I had my typhoid and Hepatitis vaccines taken care of a few weeks ago, personal medications to cover me in case of illness and travel insurance to get me home if need be.  But of course, that is all just common sense preparation.    

My belongings are split between my carryon backpack and my everyday backpack with my little day pack stuffed inside.  It will be a long night with checking in at LAX of personal and medical supplies.  Then I'm hoping to get some sleep on route.  We arrive about 8am tomorrow and will have a quiet day waiting for the rest of group  (flying in from Miami).  Then it's work for the next 9 days!  Karen did say she's arranged 2 days of sightseeing to give everyone a break midweek.  

I am not sure of internet access so I might not be posting till I get back.  I'm hoping to at least be able to text message to home and family.  Oil painting and French class will have to be on hold for a few days but have everything I need to capture memories and images.
Keep me and the others in your thoughts and prayer while on this adventure.  Adios, marta

inside title page

map of Guatemala

8 comments

  1. Deborah Says:

    I'll say a blessing for you and all the others going on this mission. You spead love, joy and hope wherever you go. Travel safe.

  2. Hey Marta, enjoy your adventurous trip. Can´t wait to hear more and would actually love to join you. :)
    How did you do the map in the journal?

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Safe travel! And have a wonderful, exciting, emotionally fulfilling trip.
    Shirley

  4. Anita Davies Says:

    Safe journey...Take care of you!

  5. Sandy Says:

    Oh Marta, What a wonderful benevolent adventure, be safe and can't wait to hear your story and see your pix/sketches.

  6. Unknown Says:

    Tienes un viaje sequro, hermana! I can't wait to hear all about it!

  7. Sharon Says:

    What a wonderful thing to be involved in. Good luck, stay safe, spread your love around. Looking forward to hearing more.

  8. What a grand adventure, and what a positive footprint it will leave upon the country. I can't wait for be BIG post when you get back.

mARTa's Art | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com