Echo Boy

Friday, June 29, 2007 at 10:00 PM
This little boy came to the hospital today for an echo cardiogram, 3rd try this week. He put up such a fuss and it looked like it wouldn't get done again. The cardiologist was thinking he'd have to schedule him for anesthesia just to do the echo. One of our young nurses, Connie, patiently gained his trust and finally laid in bed with him so the procedure could be done. I watched all of this from my little work area, mesmerized by her calming voice I then turned over my "cheat sheet" (what nurse use to keep track of their patients) and sketched him as he lay nervously on the bed but cooperating with the procedure.

I came home very tired but thought I'd try a watercolor sketch from the quick pen sketch I had done. My proportions are a bit off...he was lying on a couple of pillows...and I made his features a bit too old and harsh....but he was uptight although calm. Colors a bit off too. But what I like is that I think I got a likeness (considering he was about 20 feet from me and I've terrible eyesight) and that I worked aided by the quick sketch but mostly guided by the feeling of the moment. I have discovered something new in this aspect...I painted what I felt and I'm happy.

of course any critics and comments are greatly appreciated!!! Now to bed as I have to get up early to do another 12 hours on Saturday and Sunday!!!

echoboy

5 comments

  1. sandy Says:

    What a great sketch!! I love coming here and seeing what you have done. sandy

  2. Jana Bouc Says:

    He looks so calm and patient. What a brilliant idea to sketch him. I enjoyed hearing the story of the wonderful work of nurses.

  3. Sandy Says:

    What a sweet account and luckily no anesthesia needed - a sweet sketch too - I love the whole thing! Wow you had quite a weekend!

  4. Hey GF, I love this story and sketch and had a lightbulb moment I want to share with you!!! I think it would be so awesome, call me cuz its a secret!

  5. Tami Says:

    I think you did a wonderful sketch, Glad you found a connection between feeling good about catching the the feeling of the moment and being pleased with the outcome, that's the important part!

mARTa's Art | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com