Lavender Festival

Saturday, June 23, 2007 at 4:40 PM

lavender festival1, originally uploaded by mmvgonzales.
arches cold press 90#, reloaded sketchbook

I heard about this lavender farm about 40 minutes from here in Cherry Valley, California. Rudy and I went very early before they were really open and I enjoyed some sketching time. The plein air group I belong to (PAAR) were there as well. I still don't think of myself as a plein air painter and with the heat today and my colours drying out, I know why I prefer the studio!

Some of the treats we enjoyed today were lavender green tea, lavender shortbread sundae made with lavender ice cream of course and drizzled with lavender honey. I had a lavender infused beef brisket sandwich while nestled under the eucalyptus trees overlooking the lavender fields.

This giant oak tree is over 1000 years old and with the lavender field just in front of it, I had to paint it! No place to sit so I stood with sketchbook in hand (no preliminary sketch) while Rudy held my pallet......I do adore that man!

I'm off to a surprise Hawaiian Luau for my sister's 50th birthday so I'll post again later with another sketch or two! Mahalo!

Take a look at the photos from 123 Farm.

4 comments

  1. hola Marta, your watercolor is beautiful, love the big tree and the thick, confident strokes

  2. Lovely watercolour achieved under very tricky conditions. I am sitting here imaging the lavender farm and blissing out.

  3. this is a nice watercolor, MArta...love the values.
    ronell

  4. Linda Says:

    Oh -- a lavender farm!!! What a wonderful wonderful thought!!! Trying to imagine it ... I don't normally drool on my keyboard, so if I mkae a fwe tipyng arrers tsi bcesoau ...
    :-D Gorgeous work!

mARTa's Art | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com