I Went to my First Prom!

Sunday, June 10, 2007 at 8:45 PM

A wonderful organization ADONAI that helps families when their children are diagnosed with cancer sponsored the First Annual Prom Night for Cancer Kids this afternoon. Rudy and I had theater tickets to Jersey Boys at 2p in Los Angeles but as soon as the performance (which was wildly fabulous) was over we drove 50 miles back toward home to attend the prom.

I never got asked to the prom when I was in high school so this was my first prom. Oh I had fun! Everything was provided: food, DJ for dancing, flowers, photographer and even the attire for the young people. The affair was bursting with happiness, with hope.

I saw my beautiful girls who are growing up beautiful and healthy. I see them shinning and remember holding their heads over basins to throw up during chemotherapy and caressing their baby bald heads while we sat and talked about what they were going through and what they hoped for.

I saw some of the little ones who are now school age and don't even remember their course of treatment, but somehow remembered me?

I saw parents who lost a child and were there celebrating with the rest of us. Their child lives through their love. What a gift he was to them and us.

I saw current patients who were well enough to not be in the hospital and make it to the prom, like my baby Ariella and her family and my new patient Kassandra who tentatively hugged me as she still isn't quite trusting.

I saw a child who is now fighting the fight of her life yet today I saw no hint of disease as she danced the evening away wearing her prosthetic leg and shinning brighter than I have ever seen her shine.

And I saw all those children who are gone now but would have loved the prom. Today I danced for them.


June2007 046

Garrett was supposed to be my prom date but he wasn't well enough to be out of the hospital. That's why I had to go with the old guy!

6 comments

  1. This is so touching Marta..it is laughing with a tear. You all look so beautiful and despite sadness and loss, happy too...I admire you for the work you do.
    Ronell

  2. Anonymous Says:

    What a wonderful event! I really can relate to the thrill of reconnecting with some who are doing really well! Happier times for sure.
    Shirley

  3. Sandy Says:

    How touching! - thank you for relating this to us - certainly puts our petty problems in perspective - as a cancer survivor I still cannot imagine little ones going through it all...

  4. Linda Says:

    Marta -- what a beautiful post! I think it would be very difficult doing what you do. We had a prom at work not long ago, too -- but it was the other end of the age range. I work with the geriatric population, and health difficulties are more expected, and I think easier to deal with. I'm so grateful that there are people like you and your co-workers doing what you do!

    And didn't you look just SMASHING! What a beautiful couple the two of you made!

  5. Sandy Says:

    What great pictures of beautiful shining faces - Just Wonderful!!

  6. Wow, this is so heartfelt and touching. My heart is so sad to think that someone so young has to fight so hard for their lives, I will pray for more fun memories for all of them. Your commitment to them is so inspiring, you were glowing too!

mARTa's Art | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com